Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Food Allergies and Luck

It is March- shamrocks, leprechauns and wishes for good luck are everywhere.  But what does this have to do with food allergies?  I think it is a lesson in luck.  Luck is defined as, “success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one's own actions”.  One thing is certain, when it comes to food allergies you cannot leave your safety to luck.  Being thoughtful, prepared and taking intentional action will help you Thrive On.  This week my Thrive On 3 is all about steps you need to take to stay safe- don’t leave it to luck!



Carry 2 EpiPens® at All Times
No matter where you are going or what you are doing, if you have a food allergy you have to have your EpiPen® with you.  Severe reactions can escalate in minutes and being without your epinephrine could have dire consequences.  Don’t risk it- keep your emergency medications with you.

Last year, there were multiple times that I was scrolling through my Facebook feed and learned of yet another food allergy related death. As I read these stories with tears streaming down my face from sorrow for the families to fear about my own daughter’s safety, one thing frequently struck me in these stories- often the person did not have their epinephrine with them.

Yes, there are challenges to carrying around medicines, but at the end of the day I would rather have an inconvenience than an irreversible outcome.  There are a number of great carriers out there.  We use the AllerMates Allergy Medicine Case.  It fits two EpiPens®, our antihistamine and includes an ID card with contact information.  We have had the case for two years and it is still in great condition despite the fact that it is transported everywhere and passed off multiple times throughout the day at school to teachers, cafeteria staff, and car pool monitors.  Frio offers a great insulated bag for summer time heat when it is essential to keep your epinephrine temperature controlled.  Some other great carrier options are offered by Allergy Apparel and Epi Essentials (check these out for older girls- so stylish and functional!).  Also, if you register for the My EpiPen® Program through Mylan they will send you a free carrying case.

These are just a few of the many options available.  No matter how you choose to carry your emergency medications, a fancy carrier or a simple bag or pocket, the important thing is that you carry two EpiPens® – everywhere, all of the time.



Be Your Own Advocate
One of my favorite songs is Brave by Sarah Bereilles.  In it she sings, “Say what you wanna say, And let the words fall out, Honestly I wanna see you be brave.”  I love these lines and think this is so true when you have food allergies.  Sometimes you have to be brave to speak up and make a situation safe.  It can be uncomfortable, but you have to advocate for yourself or your child.  No one else will do it, or do it in the way that you can armed with information about your allergens, medicines and strategies for keeping you safe.

Don’t apologize for your allergies, speak the truth and inform people about what needs to happen, or not happen, to keep you safe.  Do it in a way that promotes collaboration and partnership.  Going in defensive, which admittedly is extremely difficult not to do sometimes, will ultimately work against you.  Yes, you may be frustrated, scared, and sometimes even mad that things are the way they are, but take the time to advocate in a positive and productive way.

Come prepared to discuss facts, offer alternative solutions and go in with the attitude that a positive outcome is possible.  Most importantly, do it- advocate for yourself or your child.  Say what you need to say- I want to see you be brave!



Educate and Build Your Village
We have all heard the African proverb “It takes a village to raise a child”.  I have found this to be true time and time again, and especially since our food allergy diagnosis.  As much as I like to think of myself as a “superwoman”, I have learned you cannot manage your food allergies in isolation.  You need support from your village!

I have also learned that people just don’t know what they don’t know.  I think back to before our diagnosis- I am sure I took unsafe foods to the park and didn’t wash my daughter’s hands after eating all of the time.  All things that are unthinkable to me now.  I do the right thing now because I am aware, because I am educated.  Part of building your village is making sure that people know what they need to know- about your allergies and how to keep you safe.

It has often been my experience that when I take the time to educate on food allergies people are more than willing to help make accommodations or be thoughtful about what foods they serve.  It can be as simple as a call to someone before an event to training your caregivers on how to keep your child safe while you are away (Need help with that? Check out my blog post for FAACT on Food Allergies and Caregivers).

Brainstorm who is in your village- family, friends, school personnel, babysitters, neighbors, restaurant staff, camp counselors….develop your list.  Once this list is defined make sure your village is aware and prepared to help you and your child Thrive On!



Luck is great, but your safety is not a game of chance.  To Thrive On with food allergies, you need to be prepared and have people around you who are also educated and ready to assist in managing your food allergies.  If you need help educating your village or developing ways to advocate for yourself let me know- I am here to help you Thrive On!

Product Disclaimer:
Thrive On Consulting does not sponsor or endorse the products listed.  Nor has Thrive On Consulting been paid to include these products.  Products mentioned here are provided as ideas and suggestions to help you Thrive On with food allergies.

If you find this post helpful learn more about Tami and her company, Thrive On Consulting, which helps families and individuals dealing with food allergies, and follow her on Facebook and Twitter













No comments:

Post a Comment