Thursday, March 9, 2017

Deconstructed Stuffed Peppers- Top 8 Free, Gluten Free and Delicious!

We have had a few crazy weeks at our house between afterschool activities, work demands and visitors we are rocking!  Despite our busy schedule, I still want us to be eating healthy and most importantly- safe!  To make sure that happens it takes some planning and prep.  Creating a meal plan and prepping things ahead of time has really saved us from being stressed at meal time.  My meal plan helps me to have good, healthy and safe meals ready to keep us going through these busy weeks.

Today, I want to share one of my favorite recipes when we have a busy week.  It is a meal free of the top 8 allergens, one that can be prepped ahead of time, and packed with healthy veggies.  It is my recipe for Deconstructed Stuffed Peppers.  When I was a little girl my mom would make stuffed peppers and I always loved the nights when they were on the table.  My recipe is slightly updated from my childhood favorite, but my version gets rave reviews from my girls- even with all of the veggies!

This recipe calls for ground turkey, but if you are currently celebrating Lent or prefer vegetarian meals you can easily double the veggies and leave out the meat for a great meatless meal option!

I hope your family will enjoy this recipe as much as we do!



Ingredients:
Rice
4 Red Peppers
1 lb Ground Turkey
1 Yellow or Orange Pepper, diced
1 Medium Onion, diced
1 Yellow Squash, diced
10-15 Mushrooms, diced
1 tsp Garlic Powder
¼ tsp Cayenne Powder
1 14.5 oz can Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper

Directions:
Prepare rice according to directions.  Keep warm.

Preheat oven to 400F. Slice the “sides” off of the red peppers so you have large pieces.  Brush both sides of pepper with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.  Roast in oven for 10-15 minutes, flipping once in the process.

While peppers are roasting brown turkey meat in the skillet.    Remove the meat.  Add a small amount of olive oil to the pan.  Add in onion and pepper.  Sautee for 2 minutes then add squash and mushrooms. Sautee for an additional 3-4 minutes.  Add tomatoes and spices and mix thoroughly, cook for 2 minutes.  Add in the turkey meat.  Let mixture cook on medium low heat until are ingredients are cooked.

Remove peppers from the oven.  Top with meat mixture and serve with rice on the side.

We do not have a dairy allergy so we sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on top- but it is delicious without the cheese as well.



Enjoy and Thrive On!


Learn more about Tami and her company, Thrive On Consulting, which provides food allergy coaching and training.  You can also follow her on Facebook for tips to Thrive On with food allergies.

No comments:

Post a Comment