Friday, November 4, 2016

Disney and Food Allergies: A Magical Place for Dining Out

We go to Disney because my daughters love princesses, we go to Disney because it is magical, but the main reason we go to Disney is because as a food allergy family we can go there and EAT OUT!  Every Meal, yes, every meal!  It is the only true vacation I get as I am usually toting half our kitchen with me and preparing meals for four on two tiny burners in kitchenettes. 

Our recent trip to Disney did not disappoint on the princess, magic or food front– here are some of the food allergy dining highlights that continue to make me want to visit Disney (and have them train the rest of the restaurant world!).


Our first table service lunch was at the The Garden Grill Restaurant in Epcot.  They serve family style, so I was not sure how this would go.  We informed the host and our server about our allergies and they both assured us that the chef would be by to talk to us, and they also provided us with an allergy menu.  In no time, Chef Tom was at our table ready to learn more about our allergens and help us make safe selections.  The biggest issue seemed to be the bread which could have been in contact with sesame seeds, but the restaurant offered an allergen friendly bread so we opted for that.  Stuffing was one of the main dishes served, and again, because of possible contact with sesame we opted to leave it off our order. 

The food was delicious and because of the care taken to ensure the meal was free of our allergens we all got to enjoy a family style meal while we slowly rotated around the scenery in The Garden Grill and met Mickey, Chip, Dale and Pluto.  It was a great first table service meal and this mama breathed a little easier with our first meal behind us.







______________________________________



Our table service the next day was the best dining experience we have had at Disney so far.  We had the privilege of dining at Cinderella’s Royal Table at Magic Kingdom.  My girls were so excited that they probably could have been served stale bread and still loved every second of being inside the castle to eat with the princesses.  But, to the contrary, we had what was probably the most delicious meal we have had at Disney.  

Our allergy was indicated on our ticket when we checked in for the lunch and our server immediately connected us with the chef.  Chef Brad was awesome!  He talked through our allergens, spoke directly to my daughter about what she wanted to eat, told us about their prep process, and double checked ingredients for us.  My daughter really wanted to have the turkey pot pie- and it was safe!  The desserts were an issue because of cross-contact, but Chef Brad and his team prepared a special dessert platter with Enjoy Life cookies and fresh fruit.   During the lunch the girls got to make a special wish during a wishing ceremony and although I was not given a wand and a wishing star I was wishing every restaurant would follow the allergy protocol we were experiencing at Disney!



 















_____________________________________



Our third day at the parks, we were lucky enough to score a last minute lunch reservation at Be Our Guest in Magic Kingdom.  On our previous Disney trip, we had dined there for a table service dinner and had a wonderful experience.  Lunch, however, is not table service.  You order at a kiosk and then proceed to the dining room where they deliver your food to you. 

When we checked in I informed them that we were dining with an allergy and they instructed me to notify the person at the kiosk station when we entered.  As we waited in line and I watched guests punching in orders on touch screen kiosks, I started to get really nervous.  It all seemed a little too chaotic for me!

When we reached the front of the line to be assigned our kiosk station I informed the cast member that we were dining with food allergies.  He told me that there was an allergen menu as a part of the options and to use that.  My stomach dropped- this was not the service I was used to when we dine at Disney.  I went on to explain our list of allergens and he immediately said ok- wait here and I will get the chef.  My anxiety continued to rise as we waited in the busy room- maybe this was a bad idea, maybe my last minute score of a reservation was not a good thing after all!

That all changed when Chef Ryan came out.  He seemed unaffected by the crazy going on around us.  He talked to us about what would be safe given our allergens and helped make suggestions for items for my husband and I to keep the table allergen free.  He was calm, friendly, and even shared his own experience of living with food allergies.  He stayed with us the entire time as we entered our order to ensure we did it correctly.  Once again, I was floored by the care and concern these chefs show for diners with food allergies.

As we entered the busy dining room, I saw food being wheeled out to tables in closed glass top carriers.  Immediately my mind went to cross-contact.  But, our food was hand delivered and the servers made note of our allergies as they placed the food at our table.  It was executed flawlessly and the best part of this meal- my daughter got to enjoy a cupcake for dessert! 



We had a number of positive dining experiences at the quick service venues we chose as well including Liberty Inn at Epot, Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Café at Magic Kingdom and the Riverside Mill Food Court at Port Orleans Riverside. My only complaint is that there were not a lot of safe snack options at the gift stores and snack shops.  I would have loved to have seen more Enjoy Life, or other allergy friendly options, available.

Our trip was magical for so many reasons, but as a food allergy mom to see my family be able to dine out, multiple times, and have safe and delicious food is at the top of the list for me!

What are some of your favorite Disney dining spots?




Learn more about Tami and her company, Thrive On Consulting, which provides food allergy coaching and training.  You can also follow her on Facebook for tips to Thrive On with food allergies.

Product Disclaimer:
Thrive On Consulting does not sponsor or endorse the products or restaurants listed, nor has Thrive On Consulting been paid to include these suggestions.  Products mentioned here are provided as ideas and suggestions to help you Thrive On with food allergies.




No comments:

Post a Comment